This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
.png)
There’s something about homemade soup that instantly makes a house feel cozy. This creamy carrot soup has become one of my favorite “clean out the fridge and make something comforting” meals — it’s simple, hearty, naturally sweet from the carrots and honey, and incredibly satisfying on chilly evenings.
What I love most is that it comes together with basic pantry ingredients, but tastes like something you’d order at a little café with thick slices of crusty bread on the side.
I usually make a big batch because it reheats beautifully for lunches throughout the week.
Why You’ll Love This Soup
- Creamy without needing heavy cream
- Naturally sweet and savory
- Easy one-pot recipe
- Great for meal prep
- Kid-friendly and freezer-friendly
- Packed with vegetables and flavor
The potatoes help create that velvety texture once blended, while the cumin and ginger add just enough warmth to make the soup feel extra cozy without overpowering the carrots.
Ingredients
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Olive oil
2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp salt
¼–½ tsp black pepper (depending on your taste)
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cumin
2 tbsp honey
Chicken broth (enough to fully cover the vegetables)
Fresh parsley, for finishing
If you cook often, a good immersion blender makes this recipe incredibly easy. I used to transfer hot soup carefully into a blender in batches, and once I switched to an immersion blender, I never looked back. The cleanup alone is worth it. A sturdy Dutch oven is also perfect for soups like this because it holds heat so evenly.
How I Make It
First, I sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Don’t rush this step — it builds the flavor base for the whole soup.
Next, I add the carrots and potatoes along with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, ginger, cumin, and honey. Then I pour in enough chicken broth to fully cover everything.
Once it comes to a gentle boil, I reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid, and let it simmer for about 20–30 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender.
After that, I blend everything until smooth and creamy. Right at the end, I stir in a handful of fresh parsley for a little freshness and color.
That’s it.
Simple ingredients, one pot, and a soup that tastes like you spent all day making it.
A Few Tips
- If you like a thinner soup, add a little extra broth while blending.
- For extra richness, stir in a splash of cream or coconut milk.
- This soup pairs perfectly with sourdough bread or grilled cheese.
- The flavor gets even better the next day.
Kitchen Tools I Love for Soup Season
If you make soups often, these kitchen staples are genuinely useful:
I only recommend tools I actually find helpful in the kitchen — nothing fancy required.
Final Thoughts
This is the kind of recipe I come back to again and again because it’s comforting, forgiving, and easy to make with ingredients I usually already have at home.
If you end up making it, serve it hot with fresh bread and extra parsley on top. It’s one of those meals that somehow makes everything feel a little calmer.
