This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Every summer, my basil plants seem to grow faster than I can keep up with. What starts as a few fresh leaves for pasta or salads quickly turns into overflowing baskets of basil on the kitchen counter. Instead of letting those beautiful herbs wilt away, I’ve started making homemade pesto cubes — one of the simplest little kitchen habits that makes everyday cooking feel so much easier.
Having pesto tucked away in the freezer feels a bit like saving summer for later. I love being able to drop a cube into warm pasta, soups, roasted vegetables, or even chicken and seafood for instant flavor without any extra prep.
If your garden is overflowing with basil too, here’s the easy method I use to freeze pesto in cubes for later.
Start with Fresh Basil
Pick a generous handful of fresh basil leaves and give them a gentle rinse. I usually spread mine across a kitchen towel for a bit so the leaves dry completely before blending. Too much water can thin the pesto and dull the flavor.
Add Everything to a Food Processor
Add the basil leaves to a food processor along with garlic, grated parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper. Sometimes I add pine nuts or walnuts, but honestly, I often prefer a simple nut-free pesto.
A good food processor makes this so quick and easy. I use this one for pesto, sauces, and everyday kitchen prep:
Blend with Olive Oil
While the processor is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until the pesto becomes smooth and creamy. I usually stop once or twice to scrape down the sides so everything blends evenly.
The smell of fresh basil and olive oil together is one of my favorite parts of summer cooking.
Freeze Into Pesto Cubes
After they’re frozen, transfer the cubes into a freezer-safe container or storage bag. Then anytime you need a little burst of fresh flavor, you can simply grab a cube or two straight from the freezer.
These pesto cubes have become one of my favorite little kitchen shortcuts — simple, practical, and such a lovely way to preserve fresh garden basil for slower evenings later in the season.

.png)
.png)
.png)