Tuesday, May 26, 2026

The Dopamine Menu: 50 Simple Things to Do When You Feel Overwhelmed

This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.


A gentle guide for getting out of a slump without relying on endless scrolling, impulse shopping, or “fixing your whole life” overnight.

Lately, I’ve realized that when I’m overwhelmed, my brain starts searching for the fastest possible relief.

Sometimes that looks like mindlessly scrolling for an hour. Sometimes it’s online shopping, junk food, or convincing myself I need to completely reinvent my life by tomorrow morning.

But over time, I started noticing something important: the things that actually helped me feel better were usually much smaller and much gentler.

A walk outside.

A favorite candle.

A good playlist.

Drinking water after forgetting all day.

Reading instead of scrolling.

Doing one tiny thing instead of trying to fix everything.

I also have people in my life who get overwhelmed easily — friends, family members, people who carry a lot mentally all the time — and I’ve seen firsthand how hard it can be to function when your nervous system feels overloaded.

That’s why I love the idea of a dopamine menu.

Not as another self-improvement trend.

Not as toxic productivity disguised as wellness.

But as a simple, supportive list of things that help you feel a little more human again.


What Is a Dopamine Menu?

A dopamine menu is basically a personalized list of activities that help boost your mood, regulate your nervous system, and reconnect you with yourself in a healthy way.

Instead of asking:

“Why am I like this?”

you ask:

“What would help me feel 5% better right now?”


The goal isn’t perfection.

The goal is momentum.


Some things energize you.

Some calm you down.

Some simply interrupt the spiral.

And honestly? Having a list ready ahead of time helps so much when your brain feels too exhausted to decide anything.


The Dopamine Menu

Appetizers

Quick mood shifts that take less than 5 minutes.


These are tiny resets I use when I feel stuck in my head.

  • Open a window and take 10 deep breaths
  • Drink a full glass of cold water
  • Put on one comforting song
  • Stretch your shoulders and neck
  • Wash your face
  • Light a candle
  • Step outside for sunlight
  • Make your bed
  • Pet an animal
  • Delete 10 old photos or emails
  • Dance around your kitchen for one song
  • Write down 3 things you can currently see, hear, and feel


One thing that genuinely helps me is creating little sensory moments instead of staying overstimulated all day. I keep a small cozy corner at home with a soft blanket, headphones, and a candle I only light when I need to reset mentally.

👉Here are some suggested items you can find on Amazon:


Main Courses

Things that genuinely refill your energy instead of just distracting you.


These are the activities that help me most when I feel emotionally drained.

  • Go for a long walk without your phone
  • Read a few chapters of a comforting book
  • Journal without trying to sound profound
  • Cook something simple and nourishing
  • Deep clean one tiny area
  • Work out for 20 minutes
  • Sit at a coffee shop alone
  • Call someone who makes you feel safe
  • Watch the sunset
  • Organize a playlist for your mood
  • Spend time near water if possible
  • Do a hobby you forgot you loved


One thing I’ve learned is that my brain feels so much better when I engage with life instead of just consuming content all day.

Even something as simple as reading before bed instead of scrolling TikTok changes my mood dramatically the next day.

👉Here are some suggested items you can find on Amazon:


Sides

Supportive habits that quietly make life feel softer.


These aren’t dramatic life changes. They’re just little forms of self-respect.

  • Sleeping at a consistent time
  • Eating protein early in the day
  • Drinking enough water
  • Getting sunlight in the morning
  • Taking vitamins consistently
  • Cleaning your space a little at a time
  • Saying no without overexplaining
  • Spending less time comparing yourself online
  • Keeping a “done list” instead of only a to-do list


Honestly, half the time my “mental reset” is just realizing I’m dehydrated, overstimulated, under-rested, and haven’t gone outside in two days.

Sometimes the basics matter more than we think they do.

👉Here are some suggested items you can find on Amazon:


Desserts

Pure joy. No productivity required.


I think adults forget sometimes that joy doesn’t have to be earned.

Not everything needs to become a side hustle or a self-improvement project.

Some things are allowed to exist simply because they make life feel lighter.

  • Rewatch a comfort movie
  • Buy yourself flowers
  • Make hot chocolate
  • Sit in a bookstore
  • Wear an outfit you love for no reason
  • Play a nostalgic video game
  • Listen to music while doing absolutely nothing else
  • Browse a library slowly
  • Watch funny animal videos
  • Bake something imperfect
  • Take photos of ordinary beautiful things
  • Rest without guilt


One of my favorite dopamine boosts lately has honestly been romanticizing tiny moments instead of waiting for huge life changes to feel happy.

Good coffee. Clean sheets. A rainy day playlist.

Those things count too.

👉Here are some suggested items you can find on Amazon:


Specials

For especially overwhelming days.


On the days where everything feels too heavy, simplify the goal completely.

This is the reset checklist I come back to:

  • Drink water
  • Eat something with protein
  • Shower or change clothes
  • Go outside for 5 minutes
  • Text one person back
  • Do one task that takes under 2 minutes
  • Rest without making yourself feel guilty for needing it

You do not need to “earn” rest by completely exhausting yourself first.


How to Make Your Own Dopamine Menu

The best dopamine menu is personal.

Ask yourself:

  • What activities calm me instead of overstimulating me?
  • What helps me reconnect to my body?
  • What made me happy before I became burnt out?
  • What feels realistic when my energy is low?
  • What helps me feel grounded afterward instead of numb?

Save your list somewhere easy to access — your notes app, journal, fridge, planner, or phone wallpaper.

Because when you’re overwhelmed, even deciding what might help can feel exhausting.


Final Thoughts

A slump doesn’t always mean you’re lazy or failing.

  • Sometimes you’re just mentally overloaded.
  • Sometimes you’re burnt out.
  • Sometimes your nervous system needs softness instead of pressure.

I’ve personally found that the fastest way out of overwhelm usually isn’t forcing myself harder — it’s gently reconnecting with small things that make me feel present again.

  • One walk.
  • One glass of water.
  • One favorite song.
  • One good conversation.
  • One quiet moment where your brain finally exhales.

That’s the real purpose of a dopamine menu.

Not escaping your life —

but slowly returning to it.

25 Amazon Finds for a Cozy Reading Nook

  This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There is something magical about curling up ...