Sunday, May 17, 2026

The Squirrels Have Officially Trained Me

This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.

It all started innocently enough with a bird feeder.

A few years ago, I decided to make the front yard a little more lively. I hung up a bird feeder outside the front door (I started with a simple hanging feeder like this one), filled it with seeds, and waited for cardinals, finches, and blue jays to discover it. Before long, the feeder became a daily source of entertainment. Morning coffee tasted better with birds fluttering around the yard.

But as every bird lover eventually learns, bird seed doesn’t just attract birds.

It attracts squirrels.

At first, it was just one particularly bold squirrel who would dash across the lawn, leap onto the feeder, and somehow spill half the seeds onto the ground. The birds would scatter dramatically while this fuzzy little acrobat stuffed its cheeks like it hadn’t eaten in weeks.

I tried everything to outsmart them.

I bought “squirrel-proof” feeders. (Affiliate Link)
I moved the feeder farther from the trees.
I even stood at the front window giving stern lectures that the squirrels completely ignored.

Nothing worked.

Eventually, something surprising happened. Instead of getting annoyed, I started looking forward to seeing them.

Every morning, one squirrel would appear like clockwork. Then another. Soon they were regular visitors, darting around the yard picking up fallen bird seed while my indoor cats pressed themselves against the glass door like tiny furry security guards.

The cats were absolutely fascinated.

Their tails twitched.
Their eyes locked in.
Their little teeth chattered at the window.

It became better entertainment than television.

And honestly? The squirrels seemed to know it.

The Peanut Experiment


One afternoon, feeling slightly guilty that the squirrels were surviving mostly on stolen bird seed, I tossed a few peanuts outside.

That was my first mistake.

The squirrels went absolutely wild over them.

Within minutes, the peanuts disappeared. The next day, one squirrel returned and sat near the front steps staring directly at the house. Not running around. Not searching the yard. Just… waiting.

I tossed out more peanuts.

Again, gone instantly.

And just like that, a routine was born.

👉 I started using this bird seed mix and it quickly became the favorite for all the local birds

👉 These unsalted peanuts turned into the official squirrel snack at my front door

They Learned the Front Door Means Snacks

Now the squirrels don’t even pretend to forage anymore.

They come straight to the front door like tiny impatient customers arriving at a drive-thru window.

Sometimes they sit upright on the welcome mat. Sometimes they stretch up against the storm door peeking inside like they’re checking whether customer service is open. One particularly fearless squirrel will actually knock over the flower pot lid until someone notices.

And yes — they absolutely know me.

The moment I walk toward the door, tails start flicking excitedly outside. If I’m late with the peanuts, they wait. Patiently. Judging me.

I’ve become the neighborhood peanut supplier against my will.

The Cats Think This Is the Greatest Show Ever


Meanwhile, my indoor cats have never been happier.

The second a squirrel appears, they come running from wherever they are in the house. It’s become a full daily event. They sit shoulder to shoulder at the glass door, completely hypnotized as the squirrels crack open peanuts only inches away.

The squirrels munch happily.
The cats stare intensely.
Everyone is entertained.

There’s even one squirrel who seems completely unfazed by the cats now. He’ll sit right outside the door calmly eating while the cats wiggle with excitement on the other side of the glass.

It’s like a nature documentary happening live in my entryway every day.

I having been looking for a way for my cats to be able to watch the wildlife without keeping the door open all day.  I'm looking at investing in a few cat window perches to provide hours of entertainment while keeping the door closed. 

I’m Seriously Thinking About Getting a Squirrel Picnic Table

Lately, I’ve been considering taking this squirrel-feeding operation to the next level.

You know those adorable little squirrel picnic tables and nut bars people put outside? The tiny wooden tables where squirrels sit like miniature diners holding peanuts in their little hands? I used to laugh every time I saw one online.

Now I completely understand the obsession.

At this point, the squirrels already treat my front porch like their personal café, so adding a tiny squirrel feeding station honestly feels inevitable. I can already picture them lined up at a miniature picnic table while my cats watch through the door like they’ve got front-row tickets to a live comedy show.

And honestly, the photo opportunities alone would probably make it worth it.

I’ve also seen squirrel “nut bars” where the peanuts slide onto little pegs or platforms so the squirrels can sit there snacking like tiny outdoor customers.

Knowing my squirrels, they would probably figure it out in under five minutes.

The dangerous part is once you start browsing squirrel accessories online, it becomes a rabbit hole very quickly.

Tiny benches.
Tiny picnic tables.
Tiny umbrella sets.

Apparently, I’ve become the kind of person who shops for squirrel furniture now.

Honestly, I’m okay with that.

I Never Expected to Love This Little Routine

What surprises me most is how attached I’ve become to these tiny visitors.

At first, they were just seed thieves invading the bird feeder. Now they feel like part of the neighborhood. Their personalities are surprisingly different too. Some are cautious, some are demanding, and some seem downright dramatic if the peanuts aren’t delivered fast enough.

There’s something comforting about these small daily interactions with wildlife. In a busy world, watching squirrels scamper up to the front door reminds me to slow down and enjoy simple things.

Who knew a few peanuts could create an entire ecosystem of entertainment?

The birds still visit.
The squirrels get their snacks.
The cats get front-row seats.

And every morning, someone is waiting at the door.

25 Amazon Finds for a Cozy Reading Nook

  This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There is something magical about curling up ...