Sunday, June 21, 2026

How I Turned an Old Radio Flyer Sled into a Beautiful Christmas Decoration

This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.


An easy DIY project that gives new life to a forgotten classic.

There is something special about decorating with vintage pieces during the holidays. They bring a sense of nostalgia, warmth, and character that you just can't find in most store-bought decorations. That's exactly why I couldn't pass up an old Radio Flyer sled that my uncle had sitting in his garage.

The sled had definitely seen better days. It wasn't something anyone would want to use for sledding anymore, but I immediately saw its potential. With a little paint, some holiday greenery, and a few finishing touches, I transformed it into a beautiful Christmas decoration that now becomes one of my favorite pieces to display every winter.

🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈πŸŒΏπŸŽ€πŸŒΏ❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿

Supplies I Used

If you'd like to create your own decorative sled, here are the basic supplies you'll need:

  • White spray paint or outdoor metal paint
  • Furniture polish (I used Pledge to freshen up the wood)
  • Artificial garland
  • Battery-operated LED string lights
  • Decorative bow
  • Zip ties, floral wire, or twist ties
  • Cleaning cloths


Amazon Finds Suggestions:

These simple supplies can completely transform an old sled into a charming holiday decoration.

🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈πŸŒΏπŸŽ€πŸŒΏ❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿

Finding the Perfect Sled

My sled came from my uncle, who had it tucked away in his garage for years. If you don't already have one, keep an eye out at:

  • Garage sales
  • Estate sales
  • Flea markets
  • Antique shops
  • Facebook Marketplace
  • Local thrift stores

Don't worry if the sled looks worn or faded. That's often where the best transformations begin.

🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈πŸŒΏπŸŽ€πŸŒΏ❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿

Step 1: Clean the Sled

Before making any changes, I gave the sled a thorough cleaning to remove years of dust and grime.

The wood was actually in decent condition, so I knew I wanted to preserve its natural character rather than paint over it.


Step 2: Paint the Metal Components

The metal runners and hardware showed the most wear. To brighten the entire piece and give it a winter-inspired look, I painted all of the metal parts white.

A few light coats provided great coverage and instantly made the sled look refreshed. The white paint also creates a snowy, festive appearance that works perfectly with Christmas decorations.

Be sure to allow the paint to dry completely before moving on to the next step.


Step 3: Restore the Wood

One of my favorite parts of this project was bringing the wood back to life.

Instead of sanding or refinishing it, I simply applied furniture polish and buffed the wood with a soft cloth. I used Pledge, which enhanced the natural color and gave the wood a rich, healthy shine.

This step helped preserve the sled's vintage character while making it look clean and cared for.


Step 4: Add Garland

Once the paint was dry and the wood was polished, it was time for the fun part.

I wrapped artificial garland around the metal frame of the sled, securing it as needed. The greenery instantly transformed the sled from an old garage find into something that looked ready for the holidays.

You can choose traditional green garland or add frosted, snowy, or pinecone-covered garland depending on your decorating style.

Step 5: Add Lights

To make the sled glow at night, I wrapped battery-powered LED lights throughout the garland.

I love using battery-operated lights because they don't require an extension cord, making placement much easier. The warm white lights create a cozy holiday feel whether the sled is displayed indoors, on a porch, or near an entryway.

Step 6: Finish with a Decorative Bow

The final touch was attaching a large bow to the front of the sled.

It's amazing how one simple detail can pull everything together. The bow gave the sled a polished, finished look and made it feel like a true holiday centerpiece.

🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈πŸŒΏπŸŽ€πŸŒΏ❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿

Decorating Ideas


One of the best things about a decorated sled is its versatility. Here are a few ways to display yours:


Front Porch Display 

Lean the sled against a wall or next to your front door for instant curb appeal.


Fireplace Accent

Place the sled near your fireplace or hearth for a cozy cabin-inspired look.


Entryway Decoration

Welcome guests with a festive statement piece in your foyer.


Outdoor Winter Scene

Pair the sled with lanterns, small evergreen trees, or wrapped gift boxes for a beautiful outdoor holiday display.

🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈πŸŒΏπŸŽ€πŸŒΏ❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿

Why I Love Repurposing Vintage Items

Projects like this are a reminder that not everything old needs to be thrown away. Sometimes all it takes is a little creativity to turn something forgotten into a meaningful decoration.

Every time I look at this sled, I think about where it came from, the memories it may have held, and how it now has a new purpose. It combines family history, holiday tradition, and DIY creativity all in one project.

And honestly, that's what makes it so much more special than anything I could have bought at a store.

🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈πŸŒΏπŸŽ€πŸŒΏ❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿❈🌿

Final Thoughts

If you come across an old sled that's been collecting dust, don't overlook it. With a little paint, some greenery, lights, and a festive bow, you can create a beautiful Christmas decoration that looks like it came straight out of a holiday magazine.

My uncle's old garage sled is now one of my favorite pieces of Christmas dΓ©cor, and every year it becomes a conversation starter when friends and family visit.

Sometimes the best holiday decorations are the ones with a story behind them.

25 Amazon Finds for a Cozy Reading Nook

  This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There is something magical about curling up ...