Every year, Christmas seems to arrive faster than I expect. One moment I'm enjoying summer days, and the next I'm suddenly pulling out storage bins, searching for missing ornaments, and realizing I should have started preparing weeks ago.
That’s why this year I'm embracing something many holiday lovers already know—Christmas in July.
At first, preparing for Christmas during the summer might sound a little early. But I've discovered that getting a head start doesn't take away from the magic of the season. Instead, it gives me more time to enjoy decorating, baking, gift wrapping, and creating cozy memories without the stress that often comes with the holidays.
Whether you love going all-out with Christmas decorations or simply enjoy adding a few festive touches to your home, starting early can make the season feel much more relaxed.
🎅Christmas in July Essentials to Start Your Holiday Prep🤶
These are some of the things I like to have ready before the holiday season arrives:
Cookie cutters (Affiliate Link)
Preparing early means more time to enjoy the fun parts of Christmas.
🎄Christmas in July: Why I'm Starting Holiday Prep Early
1. I Can Avoid Holiday Stress
The holiday season is wonderful, but it can also become overwhelming. Shopping, decorating, cooking, entertaining, and attending events all happen at once.
Starting early allows me to spread everything out instead of trying to do it all in a few busy weeks.
2. I Have More Time to Find Meaningful Decorations
Some of my favorite holiday decorations are the pieces that feel special—items that match my home, reflect memories, or add a cozy touch.
Shopping early gives me time to find things I truly love instead of grabbing whatever is left in December.
3. I Can Organize My Christmas Decorations
Before adding anything new, I like to go through what I already have.
Summer is a great time to:
Replace broken decorations
Organize ornaments
Label storage bins
Donate items I no longer use
Make a decorating plan
A little organization now makes decorating day so much easier.
4. I Can Start Planning My Holiday Decor Style
Every year I like to think about the feeling I want my home to have during Christmas.
Some years it's traditional red and green. Other years it's cozy neutrals, rustic farmhouse, or a simple winter theme.
Planning early helps everything feel more intentional.
5. I Can Prepare My Gift Wrapping Station
Gift wrapping is one of those holiday tasks that can quickly become chaotic.
Having wrapping paper, ribbon, scissors, tape, and storage organized ahead of time makes wrapping gifts much more enjoyable.
6. I Can Start Collecting Holiday Baking Supplies
Christmas baking is one of my favorite traditions. Cookies, cakes, candies, and homemade treats always feel extra special during the holidays.
Starting early means I can make sure I have:
Cookie cutters
Baking sheets
Mixing bowls
Decorating supplies
Storage containers
7. I Can Create a Cozy Holiday Home
One of my favorite things about Christmas is how small details can completely change the feeling of a home.
A holiday candle, a festive pillow, a warm blanket, or a Christmas mug can bring that cozy feeling even before December arrives.
8. I Can Enjoy the Season Instead of Rushing Through It
This is probably the biggest reason I love preparing early.
When everything is done at the last minute, it can feel like Christmas comes and goes before you truly enjoy it.
Preparing early gives me time to slow down and appreciate the little moments.
9. I Can Plan Holiday Gatherings Ahead of Time
If you host family or friends during the holidays, early planning makes everything easier.
You can start thinking about:
Menu ideas
Table decorations
Guest lists
Serving dishes
Holiday activities
10. I Can Start Creating New Traditions
Some of the best holiday memories come from traditions that happen every year.
Maybe it's a Christmas cookie day, a hot cocoa night, decorating the tree together, or watching favorite holiday movies.
Preparing early gives you time to think about the moments you want to create.
⛄My Favorite Christmas in July Mindset
For me, Christmas in July isn't about rushing through summer or skipping ahead. It's about making future December days a little calmer and more enjoyable.
I love the idea of doing small things now so that when the holidays arrive, I can focus less on my to-do list and more on the people and moments that make the season special.
A little planning today can create a much more peaceful holiday later.
🎁Start Small and Enjoy the Magic
You don't need to decorate your entire home in July or buy everything at once. Even small steps can make a difference.
Organize your decorations. Pick up a few essentials. Make a holiday plan. Save ideas you love.
When December arrives, you'll be ready to enjoy the lights, the music, the baking, and all the cozy moments that make Christmas feel magical.
After all, the best part of Christmas isn't the decorations themselves—it's the memories created around them.
