Sunday, May 24, 2026

15 Ridiculously Extra Ways I Spoil My Cats (And Honestly? They Deserve It)

This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.


If you walked into my house right now, you’d probably think the cats pay the mortgage.

There are cat trees by the windows, a toy box in the living room, cat nip filled pillows thrown all about the house, baskets with blankets folded in suspiciously perfect “cat loaf” shapes, and at least one cat supervising me while I type this. Actually… make that two. One is sitting on my keyboard because apparently this blog post is not moving fast enough for him.

Over the last 25 years, cats have been a huge part of my life. Right now I share my home with four indoor cats, all but one started out as feral cats before becoming spoiled indoor babies that I slowly earned the trust of and eventually brought inside. Before them, I loved and lost six incredible cats who have since crossed the rainbow bridge — three I raised from kittens, and three older cats that I rescued later in life. Along the way, I’ve also cared for countless outdoor and feral cats by feeding them, building shelters during bad weather, and patiently gaining their trust one slow blink at a time. Some of those once-feral cats eventually decided indoor life looked pretty good after all. And honestly, the first time a former stray curls up on your couch like they’ve owned the place forever? Instant emotional damage — in the best possible way.

So yes, I spoil cats. Aggressively.

And if you’re here, I’m guessing you do too.

Whether your cat acts like royalty, a tiny goblin, or a furry emotional support gremlin who screams at 4 a.m. for wet food, here are my favorite ways to spoil cats while making their lives happier, healthier, and honestly… way more entertaining for us humans too.



1. Give Them a Window Throne Because They Are Tiny Neighborhood Watch Officers


Cats LOVE watching the outside world.

Birds. Squirrels. Leaves. Random delivery drivers. Another cat walking by three houses away.

A good window perch can keep a cat entertained for hours, especially indoor cats who crave stimulation. My oldest cat has a favorite window spot where he sits every morning judging the entire neighborhood like a retired grandpa with opinions.

Some suggestions to entertain your fur baby:



2. Upgrade Their Water Situation (Because Apparently Bowl Water Is Offensive)

I don’t know who informed cats that still water is beneath them, but many cats drink WAY more from fountains.

One of my cats used to stare dramatically into her water bowl like she was being personally betrayed. I bought a fountain, and suddenly she became hydrated and emotionally stable.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Upgraded water bowl suggestions:



3. Create “Cat TV” Around the House



Cats don’t just need food and naps — they need entertainment.

I rotate toys because apparently cats also get bored and require “new seasonal collections” like tiny furry influencers. Crinkle tunnels, wand toys, puzzle feeders, and little battery-operated toys can completely change a cat’s mood.

My youngest cat once spent 45 minutes fighting a spring toy and honestly? I respected the commitment.

Cat Toy ideas:



4. Build Outdoor Shelters for Community Cats




This one means a lot to me personally.

Over the years I’ve cared for outdoor and feral cats by providing food, fresh water, and insulated shelters during cold weather and storms. Some cats stayed independent, while others slowly learned humans weren’t so bad after all.

If you care for outdoor cats too, even a simple weatherproof shelter can literally save lives during extreme temperatures.

And yes — the first time a formerly feral cat trusts you enough to nap nearby? You will cry. I’m just preparing you emotionally.

Shelter suggestions:



5. Give Them Vertical Space Like the Tiny Jungle Creatures They Are


Cats LOVE climbing.

The taller the cat tree, the more powerful they feel. I’m convinced cats get on high shelves just to experience superiority.

Vertical space also helps multi-cat households feel calmer because everyone can claim their own little kingdom.

My house basically looks like a feline obstacle course at this point, and honestly? Worth it.

Ways to be up high:



6. Treat Time = Love Language

I fully believe cats know the sound of treat bags from three zip codes away.

Treats are amazing for bonding, training, and bribing cats into forgiving you for things like… trimming their nails.

I also use treats to build trust with outdoor cats. Slow blinking + snacks = diplomacy.

Suggested Treats:



7. Upgrade Their Beds Even Though They’ll Still Sleep in a Cardboard Box



You can buy the fluffiest luxury cat bed known to mankind…

…and your cat may still choose the Amazon box it arrived in.

But when cats DO love a bed, they REALLY love it. Heated beds especially become prime real estate in colder months.

Cozy Cat Beds:



8. Make Mealtime Feel Fancy

Cats thrive on routine, but a little mealtime upgrade can make things more enriching.

Slow feeders, lick mats, raised bowls, and puzzle feeders help turn eating into an activity instead of a 14-second speedrun.

One of my cats eats like he’s training for a competitive sport, so puzzle feeders have saved us from several dramatic scarf-and-barf incidents.

Cat people understand.

Feeding Suggestions:



9. Brush Them Like They’re at a Tiny Luxury Spa

Some cats LOVE brushing once they realize it feels good.

Others act like you’ve personally betrayed their ancestors.

But regular grooming helps reduce shedding, hairballs, and matting — especially in long-haired cats.

One of mine literally walks over and flops onto his side when he sees the brush now. The transformation has been incredible.

Grooming Supplies:



10. Respect Their Weird Little Personalities


This might honestly be the biggest way to spoil a cat.

Some cats want constant cuddles. Some show affection by sitting three feet away and blinking at you like a Victorian gentleman. Some scream. Some hide. Some commit crimes at 2 a.m.

Learning who THEY are — and loving them for it — is the real magic of cat ownership.

The feral cats I’ve worked with taught me this more than anything. Trust can take weeks, months, or even years. But when a scared cat finally decides you’re safe?

That’s the good stuff right there.


11. Turn Your Home Into a Giant Hide-and-Seek Game

Cats are tiny ambush predators with the emotional energy of a raccoon on espresso. They LOVE hiding spots, tunnels, forts, and anywhere they can dramatically leap out and attack your ankles like it’s a nature documentary. I've learned that sometimes the cheapest entertainment is literally a cardboard box with tissue paper inside it. Suddenly your living room becomes a full-blown jungle expedition. Creating cozy hiding spots also helps anxious or shy cats feel safer, especially former ferals who still like having a little “escape route” nearby.

Hideout Ideas:


12. Grow Cat-Safe Plants for Their Own Tiny Indoor Jungle

Cats are weirdly passionate about plants. Unfortunately, they’re also committed to chewing on the ones that could bankrupt you emotionally and financially. Growing cat-safe greenery gives them enrichment, stimulation, and a safe way to satisfy their little goblin instincts. My cats treat fresh cat grass like it's a five-star salad bar.  It also makes indoor spaces feel more natural and calming for them - especially apartment cats who don't get outdoor adventures.

Cat-Friendly Plant Ideas:


13. Give Them “Adventure Time” Safely Outdoors

Not every cat wants outdoor adventures… but some absolutely do.

A secure catio, stroller, backpack carrier, or harness walk can give curious cats safe outdoor enrichment without the dangers that come with free roaming. One of my cats likes sitting in a stroller like a retired celebrity avoiding paparazzi. And yes, harness training a cat requires patience, emotional resilience, and occasionally questioning your life choices. But once they figure it out? Some cats genuinely LOVE it.

Adventure Gear Suggestions:


14. Talk to Them Like Tiny Hairy Roommates

Listen... I know they don't understand every word.

But I also know my cats somehow recognize phrases like “treats,” “dinner,” and “why are you screaming." Talking to your cats regularly helps strengthen bonding and gives them social interaction, especially indoor cats who rely heavily on us for stimulation. I narrate entire conversations to mine daily, and honestly, they contribute a lot of judgmental facial expressions in return. Slow blinking at cats, using calm voices, and responding to their little chirps can genuinely help build trust - especially with shy or formerly feral cats. 


15. Celebrate Them Like the Tiny Legends They Are

Look, if people can throw birthday parties for toddlers, I can absolutely celebrate my cat surviving another year of chaos and bad decisions. Whether it's a holiday, special treat day, new toy, cute collar, or an annual "gotcha day" celebration for rescued cats, little traditions make life more fun for both cats and humans. After everything rescue cats survive before finding safe homes, celebrating them feels deserved. Also... buying your cat tiny presents is basically self-care at this point.

Celebration Ideas:


Final Thoughts From a Certified Cat Enabler

At this point, my cats have better sleeping arrangements than I do.

And honestly? I’m okay with that.

Cats bring so much comfort, humor, companionship, and chaos into our lives. Spoiling them a little just feels fair. Whether you’re buying your cat a heated bed, building shelters for outdoor strays, or simply giving them a sunny spot to nap in, those little acts of care matter.

Even the grumpy ones appreciate it.

Probably.



25 Amazon Finds for a Cozy Reading Nook

  This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There is something magical about curling up ...