This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
There’s something incredibly satisfying about walking outside with a pair of kitchen scissors and clipping fresh herbs for dinner. It makes even the simplest meal feel special. A sprinkle of basil over pasta, fresh mint in iced tea, rosemary on roasted potatoes — those little touches completely change homemade food.
When I first started gardening, herbs were honestly the easiest win. They grow quickly, don’t need a huge amount of space, and actually save money at the grocery store. Plus, fresh herbs taste so much better than the little plastic packages that wilt two days after you buy them.
If you’re starting a kitchen garden this season, these are the herbs I think are the most useful, beginner-friendly, and worth growing for everyday cooking.
Basil
If I could only grow one herb in summer, it would probably be basil. We use it constantly for pasta, pizza, salads, sandwiches, and homemade dressings.
The best part is how productive basil becomes once you start harvesting it regularly. The more you trim it, the fuller it grows.
I like keeping a few different varieties:
- Sweet basil for cooking
- Genovese basil for pesto
- Thai basil for stir fry dishes
One thing that made a huge difference for me was switching to a larger container with really good drainage. Basil hates sitting in soggy soil.
This season I’ve been using these breathable grow bags because they keep the roots healthier during hot weather and they’re easy to move around the patio when needed: Grow Bags
Rosemary
Rosemary is one of those herbs that makes you feel like a better cook instantly. Add a little to roasted vegetables or bread and everything smells amazing.
It’s also one of the prettiest herbs to grow. Mine basically acts like landscaping near the porch during summer.
The biggest mistake I made early on was overwatering it. Rosemary actually likes to dry out a bit between waterings.
If you cook a lot of:
- Potatoes
- Chicken
- Roasted vegetables
- Homemade breads
you’ll probably use rosemary more than you expect.
I also love drying extra sprigs at the end of the season so we have homegrown herbs through winter.
Mint
Mint grows aggressively — and I mean aggressively.The first year I planted it directly in the garden bed, it completely took over. Now I only grow mint in containers.
But for iced drinks, tea, desserts, and fruit salads, it’s one of my favorites.
Chocolate mint and spearmint are both really fun varieties if you want something a little different.
These self-watering planters have honestly helped me keep container herbs alive during hot weeks when I forget to water: Self Watering Planters
Parsley
Parsley is underrated until you start growing it fresh.Store-bought parsley always seemed kind of flavorless to me, but homegrown parsley has so much more freshness and color.
I use it constantly in:
- Soups
- Pasta
- Salads
- Marinades
- Homemade garlic butter
Flat-leaf parsley tends to have stronger flavor for cooking, while curly parsley works well as garnish.
It also tolerates cooler weather better than some herbs, so it stays productive longer into the season.
Chives
Chives are probably the easiest herb I grow.
They come back every year for me with almost zero effort and add fresh onion flavor to everything.
We use them on:
- Baked potatoes
- Eggs
- Dips
- Salads
- Cream cheese spreads
The purple flowers are edible too, which surprised me the first time I learned it.
If you’re nervous about gardening, chives are a confidence booster because they’re so forgiving.
Thyme
Thyme is one of those herbs that quietly works in almost everything.It’s fantastic in soups, roasted meats, vegetables, and sauces. Plus it handles heat and dry conditions really well once established.
I also love that thyme doesn’t require much maintenance. It kind of thrives when left alone.
If you want low-maintenance herbs, thyme and rosemary are both great choices.
Helpful Herb Gardening Tools I Actually Use
I try not to overcomplicate gardening, but there are a few things that genuinely make growing herbs easier.
These little herb scissors save so much time when harvesting: Herb Scissors
And if you’re starting seeds indoors, a small grow light setup helps a lot, especially before warm weather fully arrives: Grow Light
Final Thoughts
Herbs are honestly one of the most rewarding things you can grow. They’re practical, beginner-friendly, and make everyday cooking feel a little more homemade and intentional.
Even if you only have a small patio or a sunny windowsill, you can still grow enough herbs to use regularly in your kitchen.
And once you start cooking with fresh herbs you picked yourself, it’s hard to go back to store-bought.
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)