This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
If you’ve ever wondered why some plants thrive together while others seem to struggle side-by-side, companion planting might be the missing piece in your garden.
I’ll be honest — when I first started gardening, I planted vegetables wherever I had space. Sometimes it worked… and sometimes it definitely didn’t.
Over time, I started paying attention to which plants seemed to help each other grow better, attract pollinators, or keep pests away. That’s when companion planting finally started making sense to me.
The good news is you don’t need to memorize complicated garden rules. A simple companion planting chart can make planning your garden so much easier.
So here’s an easy beginner-friendly guide to some of the best companion plants (and a few bad neighbors) for the most popular vegetables people grow at home.
Easy Companion Planting Chart
Companion planting isn’t just about saving space.
The right plant combinations may help:
- reduce pests
- attract pollinators
- improve airflow
- maximize harvests
- shade the soil
- support healthier growth
And honestly, some plants simply seem happier together.
One of my favorite combinations is tomatoes + basil + marigolds. Not only does it look beautiful, but it creates a really healthy-feeling garden bed.
My Favorite Companion Pairings
Tomatoes + Basil
This classic pairing is popular for a reason.
Basil may help repel pests, and it fits perfectly underneath taller tomato plants without competing for space.
Plus, if you love cooking, you’ll probably use both constantly during summer.
Cucumbers + Nasturtiums
Nasturtiums are one of the hardest-working flowers in my garden.
They attract pollinators while also acting as a trap crop for aphids.
And honestly? They make vegetable gardens look so much prettier.
Carrots + Onions
This pairing works because the strong smell of onions may help confuse carrot flies.
It’s one of the easiest companion planting combinations for beginners.
Plants That Don’t Get Along
Some vegetables compete for nutrients or attract the same pests and diseases.
A few combinations I try to avoid:
- tomatoes near potatoes
- onions near beans
- fennel near almost everything
- corn near tomatoes
I learned the tomato-and-potato lesson the hard way after dealing with fungal issues spreading through one bed years ago.
Now I always separate them.
Helpful Garden Supplies for Companion Planting
One thing that made companion planting MUCH easier for me was labeling everything clearly.
Once plants start filling in during summer, it’s surprisingly easy to forget what’s planted where.
Garden markers are incredibly helpful if you’re planting multiple companion groups.
I also love using a garden planner notebook to sketch layouts before planting season starts.
Beginner Tip: Don’t Overcomplicate It
You definitely do not need a perfectly planned “expert” garden to benefit from companion planting.
Even adding a few flowers, herbs, or pest-repelling plants near your vegetables can make a difference.
Start simple:
- basil near tomatoes
- marigolds around raised beds
- lettuce under taller plants
- nasturtiums near cucumbers
Gardening is really just one big experiment anyway.
Some combinations will work beautifully in your space, and others may surprise you.
That’s part of the fun.
Happy gardening 🌱
.png)

.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)