This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
If there’s one recipe I make on repeat every summer, it’s this Easy Bowtie Pasta Salad. It’s colorful, fresh, ridiculously simple to throw together, and somehow always the first thing gone at cookouts and family parties.
I love making this when I need something quick but still homemade and impressive. The combination of tender bowtie pasta, juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, fresh basil, and savory olives is so light and flavorful — especially on hot summer days.
This is one of those recipes that actually tastes even better after it chills in the fridge for a bit, making it perfect for meal prep, picnics, potlucks, and backyard BBQs.
And if you’re bringing it somewhere, a good airtight container is a lifesaver. I use this one all summer long because it keeps everything fresh and makes transporting pasta salad so much easier: airtight container (Affiliate Link)
✨ Save this recipe for your next summer gathering!
Ingredients
1 lb bowtie pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
Mozzarella cheese, diced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
4 oz fresh basil
Black olives, halved
1 green bell pepper, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Bowtie Pasta Salad
Start by boiling the bowtie pasta until al dente according to the package directions. You want the pasta tender but still slightly firm so it holds up well once chilled.
Drain the pasta and transfer it to a large serving bowl. I always use an oversized mixing bowl for this because it makes tossing everything together so much easier — especially once all the fresh ingredients get added. My favorite one is linked here.
In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and stir in the minced garlic and diced green pepper. Let it cook for just a minute or two until fragrant. This simple step adds so much flavor and makes the pasta salad taste extra homemade.
Pour the warm garlic and pepper oil over the pasta and toss gently.
Next, add the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, basil, and black olives. Stir everything together carefully so the mozzarella stays nice and chunky.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. The flavors get even better as it chills.
Serve cold and watch it disappear fast.
Easy Ways to Customize This Pasta Salad
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how easy it is to switch up depending on what you have in the fridge.
Try adding:
Cucumbers for extra crunch
Red onion for a little bite
Grilled chicken for a heartier meal
A splash of balsamic glaze for extra flavor
Red pepper flakes if you like a little heat
Kitchen Favorites I Use for This Recipe
These are a few kitchen staples I reach for every time I make pasta salad:
Airtight food storage container (Affiliate Link)
Tips for the Best Pasta Salad
Don’t overcook the pasta — al dente works best.
Fresh basil makes a huge difference in flavor.
Chill before serving so all the flavors blend together.
Drizzle with a little extra olive oil before serving if the pasta absorbs too much while chilling.
This easy bowtie pasta salad is fresh, colorful, and guaranteed to become one of your go-to summer recipes.